Monday 21 July 2008

Mamma Mia!


Having never seen the stage version, I didn't know what I was expecting when I went to see Mamma Mia. I went with my mother and father, both huge Abba fans, as am I. The film appears to tell the story of Sophia, a bride-to-be who is desperate to find her real father. As it happens, she has three choices, having discovered her mothers diary detailing her past romantic adventures. Deciding that the only thing missing from her perfect wedding is having a father to walk her down the aisle, Sophie sends invites to all three potential fathers in the hope that she will discover who her true identity is.
Cue a lot of Abba songs, some expertly choreographed dance segments and a few interesting outfit choices. Sophie's plan doesn't quite work out, and old loves are re-kindled whilst new loves form. As the tagline suggests, brace yourself for a trip down the aisle that you'll never forget!
The film is cheesiness personified, but it's done in such a clever way that I almost forgive it. Julie Walters brings the comedy to life, whilst Meryl Streep performs at her best. She has the perfect carefree spirit and youthful exuberance for anyone performing Abba songs.
There is something about Abba music that makes people happy, and this film does the same. I loved it; it's cheesy, it's girly, it's funny and it made me smile the entire way though.


4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment